Looking for a Catamaran Cruising Blog?

If you found this blog via a link from a cruising site ~ we did cruise Mexico on our Ocean 49 cat for a season. See the first text box on the right for links to our preparations, trip down Baja, life in Mexico, cruising and trip back up to SoCal. Unfortunately we are back to the grind in the USA...

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tall Ships on a Stunning January Day in Ventura

Nothing like a 70 + degree day in January...
While certain parts of the Country are buried under 6 feet of snow...
A little East wind in the morning to warm and dry things out.
A Saturday.
No place I have to be.
Nothing I absolutely have to do.
At least 75 boats out and about, including two tall ships!










Whoa... they sure have a lot of shrouds, stays, halyards, lines and lord knows what else.













Now if this weather will just hold...

5 comments:

judith said...

They are so awesome. I could just sit all day and watch them scamper around on those ships.

Doug and Carla Scott said...

How beautiful! Hope the weather holds - you have had enough rain this year!

Adam and Nicole Jordan said...

What were the names of the vessels? There were two in washington this summer....Hawaiian Chiefton and Lady Washington. Very nice pics!

Jim and Heather on Meerkat said...

Jomamma ~ it doesn't make you nervous when your daughter is up in the rigging?
D & C ~ we too, hope the weather holds. This weekend sort of fooled us into believing summer was coming.
A & N ~ Same boats ~ they go up and down the coast. I liked watching them go by, but it is certainly odd when the driver who is in period costume is talking on a cell phone... and I think they read my request for no more cannons, because it was pretty quiet for the last few days.

judith said...

I've only seen pictures of her up in the rigging, I've never seen her climb in person. I'm very scared of heights, so I'm not sure how I would feel about it. I think the fact that I know she can do it, and that she's done it so many times, I'd be less nervous. I wasn't surprised that she could do it, because when she says she's going to do something she does it. She can be a very determined person when she wants to be. I get more nervous when she's told to swim from one mooring buoy to another to pillage bagels off another boat and back than I would be about her climbing the rigging.